Solgaths Gasbag place

place to discuse just about anything

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

guide to lvling a tankadin

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Solgath
Master Of the Universe
Master Of the Universe

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-02-16

PostSubject: guide to lvling a tankadin   Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:50 pm

ok, so ur here cause u want to lvl as one of the most powerful solo specs i know of apart from the DK blood spec, now what i'm going to write here is how to get the most out of lvling a prot spec paladin for those that want to, and now, before u start saying "bah ret is the best blah blah" guess what i don't care and the purpose of this guide is to give ppl an insight into prot tanking as u lvl.

GEAR
ok, because of the most recent expansion, currently the best way to gear ur tankadin is to gear him the same as u would a warrior, focus on stamina, strength, and later on, Def rating.

SOLOING AS A TANKADIN
so ur lvling tankadin, and not sure why u die alot? ok, first, never waste mana, a tankadin is not a dps whore, they take time to kill things, always keep a judgement on ur target, be it wisdom or light, ur seal should reflect what u need at that point in the fight, if ur low on mana, use wisdom, if ur low on health, heal or use seal of light, as a tankadin u have a buttload of hp if ur geared right and can take a beating, never panic if u start getting low, just start healing or pop ur bubble then heal, or use lay on hands, using these and keeping a cool head u'll find u can take on almost anything, just remember, u are not immortal u can still die, more so if u take on a quest, thats several lvls to high for u.

TANKING TIPS
so, u wanna tank but don't know how? its just a matter of keeping ur threat up by using all the holy damage skills u have. while lvling for a while u won't have the tasty toys other higher lvl tanks have, once u hit 20, at that point tanking becomes easier, so if u want to instance tank via LFG i recommend waiting till u hit 20 and learn concecration, always keep Righteous fury up, being that it increase threat created by holy damage u want this, till u get ur other attacks, Ret aura is ur primary tool for generating threat after u drop consecration, later on down the track, open with Avengers Shield and then once ur close, use Hammer of Righteousness and drop a concecration, if someone pulls threat, use hand of reckoning or Righteous defense on the target who pulled off u. as u lvl tanking does get easier.

all right, ur lvl 10 and wondering where to stick ur first point,
start by putting points in the following talents, i'll break it down by lvl to make it easy for u.

lvl 10 - 14
Divinity
(reason for this is cause while u tank, if u do need to heal, u'll get more out of it, and if ur instance tanking, it makes ur healers job easier.)

lvl 15 to 19
Anticipation
(u dodge, u don't get hit, plus when u get blessing of Sanctuary dodging also means mana regen, and with mana u can drop more holy damage)

lvl 20 to 24
Toughness
(more armor, less damage u take, nuff said)

lvl 25 to 27
Improved Righteous Fury
(damage reduction is a must, and seeing as when u tank RF is always up, ur take less damage, making the healers job easier)

lvl 28 to 30
Improved Devotion aura
(later on down the track, u will be using Dev aura all the time when tanking, plus even when using Ret aura, pll get increased healing bonus, which is always handy for ur healer)

lvl 31
Blessing of Sanctuary
(best blessing for any paladin tank, gives u damage reduction, stamina and strength bonus, and when u dodge, block, or parry a melee attack u regen mana always useful)

lvl 32 to 36
Reckoning
(hit more, u do more damage, the trick with this though is to use a weapon around 2.00 attack speed, or lower)

lvl 37 to 39
One hand weapon specialization
(seeing as u tank with a 1 handed weapon and shield, this is always useful)

lvl 40
Holy shield
(another holy damage threat gen skill, plus it increase ur block rating so long as u have charges and its up.)

lvl 41 to 43
Argent Defender
(if the healer is having issues and u look like ur gonna die, Ardent avenger has u covered.)

lvl 44 to 45
Sacred Duty
(more stamina is always a good thing)

lvl 46 to 47
Spiritual Attunement
(regen mana when ever ur healed, great if u need a quick mana boost, for when u need to drop that extra bit of holy threat)

lvl 48 to 50
Combat Expertise
(again, more stamina and strength will only improve ur tanking abilty)

lvl 51
Avenger's Shield
(ur bread and butter opening move, use this to pull up to 3 targets, and with the extra from the next talent, great for pulling casters to u)

lvl 52 to 54
Redoubt
(incresed block rating while its up, stacks with holy shield, very useful, combined with sanc when u tank, and ur mana issues are almost gone)

lvl 55 to 57
Touched by the light
(increased spellpower improves ur threat gen, plus if u crit heal while tanking, u live that little bit longer when u solo that elite mob)

lvl 58 to 60
Shield of the Templar
(damage reduction, and adds the silence effect to ur Avenger's Shield great for pulling casters to u)

lvl 61
Hammer of the Righteous
(hits 3 targets, plus a lot of holy damage, great threat gener after i pull with avenger's shield, add the glyph and it hits 4 targets, handy for those pulls with extra mobs)

lvl 62 to 63
Guarded by the light
(reduced damage from magic, always useful for those casters)

lvl 64 to 68
Deflection
(parry, again, something we need to regen mana, more the better)

lvl 69 to 73
Benediction
(reduces the mana cost of ur instant cast spells, which is pretty much everything u have as a tanking paladin, less mana u burn more spells u can use to keep ur threat up)

lvl 74 to 78
Seals of the Pure
(anything that increase ur seals damage while tanking will help u keep ppl from dying, not so much a requirement till u hit Northrend really)

lvl 79 to 80
Improved Judgements
(reducing the cooldowns of ur judgements is useful in that it means u can use them more often, meaning more single target threat gen)

and thats ur talent tree covering all the way to lvl 80.

hope u find what i have here useful, if u have any questions, or feel something needs to be added, post here Smile

Visit my dragon, help him grow!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=594094037
Solgath
Master Of the Universe
Master Of the Universe

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-02-16

PostSubject: Re: guide to lvling a tankadin   Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:51 pm

RESERVED!

Visit my dragon, help him grow!
Back to top Go down