Solgaths Gasbag place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Solgaths Gasbag place

place to discuse just about anything

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

On the subject of MMOs

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SquallStrife
Subserviant Chicken
Subserviant Chicken

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-02-17

On the subject of MMOs Empty
PostSubject: On the subject of MMOs   On the subject of MMOs Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 1:19 pm

(-1) I DIDN'T WRITE THIS See here: http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=3&c=12&t=14956 9th post down.

Before I begin: (1) This is front page material, excuse it for being in "Announcements" (2) The aim of this post is NOT to bash Warhammer online, NOR is it the aim of this post to support WoW.

Please read this as an objective analysis of what's happened to a game after 5+ years of constant play.

Without further ado, this is shamelessly taken from the atomic forums:

Quote :

Quote :
Uninstall it NOW
QFT. Not for the addiction boogie man that the uninformed and petty scream out. Not because hating WoW is the new black. Not because Blackrock is full, GTFO or Tich is not for you. Uninstall it because the game is dieing. You will never experience the exploration and fun of leveling that the early adopters had. You won't experience the true open pvp that existed in the first few months. All the instances and raids (and their subsequent lore) will be wasted on you as you plow through dead content to catch up to everyone else who mindlessly stand around Shattarah for hours on end, only to log in for their welfare epics and meaningless, hyper inflated gold.

There is no discovery left in the game, no stone left unturned. Everything has been found, maths calculated again and again. You will build a character an exact way and play it a certain way. You will collect the exact same items as everyone else and do little to no different damage to someone who quit the game twelve months ago. You will be however a different shade of pink or orange...

Come thanksgiving in November the fanbois will herald a revolution when in fact it is exactly the same grinding as it was to sixty or even seventy. The 'carrot' won't of gotten any better, Blizzard will of just moved the goal posts again. A meter to the left, maybe two if they're generous.

Two weeks to eighty, two months of the same instances and same boss fight mechanics for some blues to go into the same raid many of us did at sixty for some purples to use to get more purples months later.

PvP has not existed in the game since the Honour system was implemented and you will never test your 'skills' against another person. You will press a series of predetermined buttons and win or lose on the basis of a paper, scissors, rock regardless of what you do or what shade of yellow or red your clothing is.

If your yellow clothing is too neon, the unwashed masses of casuals will wail an cry, bitch and bemoan. Their tears filling page after page of Blizzard forums till finally Blizzard makes their red clothes a little more red, whereupon those with blue pinstripe suits will start to cry and the cycle will continue till the next expansions...

A green carrot for a blue one. A blue carrot for a purple one. A purple one for another shade of purple, maybe pink...

Obviously they're talking about World of Warcraft, but it will be interesting, in 4 years time, to see if the same thing is being said about Warhammer Online, Conan, or any other forthcoming MMOs. As time passes, "professional" gamers will begin to break down every single element of the game until a single set of "perfect" configurations emerge, and experimentation by people with the time and resources to make a mark ceases.
Back to top Go down
Solgath
Master Of the Universe
Master Of the Universe
Solgath

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-02-16

PostSubject: Re: On the subject of MMOs   On the subject of MMOs Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 10:24 pm

ok so as u pointed out, in 4 years that may be the case, but for now, i'm excited about this game, i have experianced the content that is on offer in Warhammer online, for some reason i really don't care 4 years from now what might, could or should be happening in any said game, cause i'm playing the game right here and now, not 4 years from now.... i really don't care if ppl come up with a set way to play something, cause i never use them, i really don't care either way, i'll do things how i want to do them, not how someone says they should.

i played WoW for 3 nearly 4 years, and that was non-stop almost, i got sick of the game eventually, but Warhammer is something i'm full on enjoying even in its beta phase, which says something about how the game will be when it goes live.

Conan from experiance, needed a longer beta phase or a beta phase all together... i played and it was way to buggy for my tastes and stuff was missing that was still listed on the box when u bought it.

but i go back to what i said before, i'm not interested in 4 years from now, nor do i care, i'm only interested in what i'm doing right here and now, and from what i see and with the way WoW is running outta stuff to put in there expansions, WAR may be around for a while yet.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=594094037
SquallStrife
Subserviant Chicken
Subserviant Chicken

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-02-17

PostSubject: Re: On the subject of MMOs   On the subject of MMOs Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 10:31 pm

Solgath wrote:
snip "dont care about 4 years time" post

You kinda just agreed with me where. Razz

Of course it's fun now. It should be. WoW was fun when it was new.

The whole point of the post was that now we have a glaring example of one possible destiny for a halfway popular MMORPG. We didn't have that back when WoW was new.

I wasn't really trying to prove a point or anything, I just thought it was an interesting observation of what HAS happened.

I also said that I WASN'T TALKING ABOUT WARHAMMER. Nor was I bagging it out. I think I said that twice.

Gotta relax man! Not everything's a criticism of something else.
Back to top Go down
Jesus

Jesus

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: On the subject of MMOs   On the subject of MMOs Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 2:15 pm

That's actually a good point in the OP.

Games go stale. That's why there's sequels. There's a reason UO doesn't have as big a paying following as it did originally.

I see it as a good thing. We're now seeing games like WAR come through and have some measure of popularity as people get bored of WoW. Hopefully the trend progresses and MMORPGs come out of the 4 year funk they've been in.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/dragoom
Jesus

Jesus

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: On the subject of MMOs   On the subject of MMOs Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 2:17 pm

SquallStrife wrote:
The whole point of the post was that now we have a glaring example of one possible destiny for a halfway popular MMORPG. We didn't have that back when WoW was new.
Woo! Double post!

Back when WoW was new there was UO and Everquest. They were spoken of but never seen. Like some kind of deformed jew.

It's a good trend. I like it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/dragoom
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On the subject of MMOs   On the subject of MMOs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

On the subject of MMOs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Solgaths Gasbag place :: Stuff in general :: Forum updates and announcements-
Jump to: